Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Lisa Bentley A True Champion II

Hello. I still can't stop thinking about Lisa Bentley. She is a truly remarkable person, who just happens to be a 10-time Ironman Traithlon champion. When I replay her speech in my mind, it's hard to believe it comes from someone who has cystic fibrosis, a life-shortening disease. She refers to it as a gift, because it made her more aware of how precious life really is. Incredible attitude.
So why is it that a Lisa Bentley can excel at a sport with a disease that should handicap her, while someone perfectly healthy cannot even complete a race? What makes Lisa supass her healthier opposition? Would she be as good if she didn't have CF? Or would she be better? No one can say for sure, but it may be the former. If so, it says a lot for the power of the mind.
Golfers of course have always known about mind power. There have been some days, like tomorrow, when I've gone onto the course ready to kill it, and have shot a disasterous score. Then there are days like June 8th, 2004, when I've been wondering why I haven't yet broken 76 yet in the season, only to go shoot 68, my lowest par-72 course score ever.
If you want to improve in all areas, start in your mind.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google