Monday, April 23, 2007

Lisa Bentley A True Champion

Hello. It was a night I tried not to get too excited about. Lisa Bentley and I had never met, but I was already a big fan. Lisa has cystic fibrosis (CF), a life-shortening disease. At an age that many CF patients never reach, Lisa has not only survived, but thrived. She is a 10-time Ironman Triathlon champion, and a legend in the CF world. The question was, what was she like as a person?
After meeting her and listening to her speak, I'm almost speechless. Lisa Bentley is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. She made me feel inadequate, both as an athlete and as a human being, and I mean that as a compliment. There are so many things I learned about how to be a champion, how to carry yourself, how to battle adversity. She's just such a remarkable individual, who thinks of things that we "ordinary" people consider impossible as routine, or overwhelming problems as just curveballs.
How do champions do it? I really don't know. I guess the same way golfers win tournaments - with patience. Knowing a setback will pass, because it always has before. Knowing you will win the race because you've done so several times in rehearsal. Knowing everyone's a champion within because you see parts of you in everyone, even if it may be difficult to see them at times.
If you ever get the chance to meet Lisa Bentley, all I can say is watch her every moment and learn. And in the meantime, please click on her URL at the top of this page.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google