Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Ochoa Stumbles In The Stretch

Hello. Lorena Ochoa is unfortunately having a tough time closing the deal. Just one win away from taking over the #1 world ranking from an injured Annika Sorenstam, Ochoa was 6 over par on her last 6 holes Sunday, enabling Brittany Lincicone to emerge with the Ginn title.
When combined with some bad weekend holes in the Kraft Nabisco, and no major wins to date, it would seem Lorena has a mental block about taking that final step. Needless to say it's understandable. Phil Mickelson in particular had the same issue before overcoming it. Only Tiger Woods seems to have avoided the issue professionally.
As someone who also experienced it at a much lower level, I can empathize. I unfortunately only overcame it once. How? In a word, patience. When I was one down in the match play final, and faced a 6 footer to halve the 15th hole, I just went through my normal routine, instead of thinking about the circumstances. A miss probably would've guaranteed defeat. I made it, then won the next two holes for a 2 and 1 victory.
Ochoa has said the right things in the press, about being patient enough to wait for the #1 ranking to occur. It could happen this month, or early May if she plays normally. I'm sure she will realize patience is the answer.
Good luck Lorena!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google