Thursday, November 01, 2007

Requiem For A Country Club Comments

Hello. Rich Lerner wrote "Requiem for a Country Club" in thegolfchannel.com where he tells about the course he beloged to in his youth being sold. Following is the email I sent back to him:

Hello Mr. Lerner. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about The BerkLeigh. Your experiences reminded me of my golf past (I'm 46 too).
Unfortunately, The Berkleigh's story also reminded me of the 3 private clubs I used to belong to. One club became semi-private, then part of a network to survive. The other two are facing the aging membership/declining facilities problem, and may have to do what the first one did.
The age of the private club as we knew it is coming to an end. Unless you're born into a share of a high end club, there are now too many less expensive golf alternatives for people to consider "stand alone" private club memberships. People don't have the time and/or money to join them. And the friendships of 100+ people and familiarity of playing one course that you and I treasured are seen by many golfers, especially those who grew up playing on public courses, as either non-factors or disadvantages.
While we may not consider ourselves old, we may be the last generation who appreciates the "stand alone" private club for what it was, and mourn at its disappearance.
Regards,
Steve

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice phrase

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I advise to you.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google