Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Creamer Joins Elite American Company

Hello. Congrats to Paula Creamer for winning the Samsung event Sunday against an elite 30 player field. It was Paula's 4th victory of the season.
Is it safe to say Paula is the best American player? For sure. Although Creamer hasn't won a major yet, and Morgan Pressel has, Paula has 9 career wins in 3 seasons. Her 4 wins in a season is the most by an American since Juli Inkster got 5 wins in 1999.
Now, can Paula challenge the LPGA's elite (ie Lorena Ochoa and all the great Asian players)? That's a different story. It's also hard to believe a 4 time winner is not in the same class. However, if I was going to list my predicted 2009 major winners, Creamer would maybe be around 10th. Harsh, maybe misguided, but true.
Why? In simple terms, Paula's not long enough for the LPGA Tour this decade. And while the rest of her game can make up for it occasionally, her length hinders her going against the others.
Is it something she can correct? I would think so, as long as she keeps her mechanics. I'm not the longest hitter in the world, and I won't sacrifice my consistency to get length. Why hit it another 20 yards when I wouldn't know where it was going?
Congrats Paula!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google