Wednesday, September 24, 2008

9 Years Ago II

Hello. 9 years ago today my wife and I were making our first trip to the Hospital For Sick Children in Toronto. Three days earlier we'd been told our daughter had cystic fibrosis (CF). Neither of us knew anything about it, other than it was life-shortening. We still weren't experienced enough with the Internet to find out what it was.
The car ride was depressing. I had heard humour was a good thing. I asked my wife if she thought our daughter would be able to eat junk food. Her reply of "Steven, this is a serious matter, SHUT UP!" was almost mistaken by me for pillow talk.
When we talked to the doctor, he outlined what we'd have to do. One of the assignments was to fatten our daughter up, to the point of putting whipped cream in her homo milk if necessary. I asked about junk food. He said yes, the more the merrier.
September 24th, 1999. The last time I was right about anything. 9 years ago today. And it's still fresh in my mind, which is surprising for so long ago. I was right. About something. Sure it was last millenium. But I still remember.
May the next 9 years be as happy for us, and as healthy for both of our CF children, as the previous 9 years were.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google