Monday, November 26, 2007

Ames Comes Through Again

Hello. Congrats to Stephen Ames for winning the LG Skins Game. Ames won only two holes, but the last one was key as it enabled him to walk off with more than half the money. Fred Couples won the rest, while Brett Wetterich and Zach Johnson came up empty.
Ames may be Couples' heir apparent to the "Mr Skins Game" crown. It's his 2nd consecutive title. And he's done well in the Canadian Skins Game too.
For Ames' sake, I hope he did well. I'm not sure how much longer this event will keep going. While the money's good for you and I, it barely registers for this field. When the first Skins game was being played with Palmer, Nicklaus, Player and Watson, the money was way more than what they'd earn in a regular event. Now it isn't. It would have to probably be around a $250,000/hole to get the great players' attention. Even that would be iffy.
Should Skins Games carry on? I'm not sure. As long as charity benefits, I'm all for them. But if I'm a gallery fan, it's tough to watch only one group on a course. And if I'm a TV fan, I don't know if an event without top players will make me watch.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google