Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Ochoa, Pettersen Will Be Great in '08 II

Hello. FYI I looked at Sports Illustrated's Sportsman on the Year candidates. Many authors have created essays on who their picks are. The winner will be announced on Dec 3rd. My thinking is it will be someone who has not already been mentioned in this author collection.
There is one candidate of the many who stands out in my mind so far - Lorena Ochoa, as mentioned by Gary Van Sickle. Her numbers are obvious and will be briefly repeated here: #1 in the world, #1 on the money list with an all-time record, 8 wins, 1 major at St Andrews.
As a golfer, I'm of course biased. Unfortunately I think SI is too. I cannot remember the last time a woman won SI's top award. Certainly Annika Sorenstam had a few years where she was deserving. I also cannot remember when a non-American last won the award. Roger Federer could've won in the past.
Will Ochoa win this year? Based on my logic above, I'd say no. But the great thing is, '08 may be an even better year for Lorena, unless Suzann Pettersen gets in the way.
No matter what non-golf awards Ochoa wins, she is definitely the one to beat now, and has a lot of time left to prove it.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google