Thursday, December 21, 2006

Curling New Year's Resolution

Hello. With a new year in our midst (this is my last blog of 2006), it's time to say what I would wish for curling to become more successful.
The average fan, rightly or wrongly, is only interested in the Canadian Championships and the Olympics. The irony is these events pale in comparison to the Olympic Trials and Grand Slam of Curling for field quality. Great events are not being well-attended.
Why? Because any event not declaring a Canadian champion is seen for what it is - an exhibition. The only people who care about who wins the most money curling in a season are the curlers and their families. If you don't think that's true, do you know who won the most money in 2005-2006? Neither do I.
What I propose is these other events be used to determines who makes the provincial playdowns. Saskatchewan almost has this system now, except they made a big mistake in declaring 3 WCT (World Curling Tour) teams and 3 SCT (Saskatchewan Curling Tour) teams make the provincials. Instead, what I would do is award points based on teams reaching the semi-finals and finals, withWCT and provincial tour points weighted accordingly. In this way, the top 8 teams out of 10 would earn their way into the provincials. The other teams could play events similar to what is set up now to see who the other 2 teams are. To keep the incentive of playing well even after qualifying, hammer for all games could be given to the top team.
Will this happen in my lifetime? I hope so, but I'm not optimistic. However, it's one of my New Year's Resolutions. If one province did it, the rest would follow.
Happy holidays to everyone! See you in 2007!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google