Monday, December 11, 2006

Curling Innovation

Hello. The Masters of Curling introduced some innovations which I thought were great. The first was going from a 10-end game to an 8-end game.
Now I'm a little biased because I've never played a 10-end game. I should say I've never played a scheduled 10-end game. With my abilities, I'm lucky to play an 8-end game. Usually our games only last 4 or 6 ends (we usually don't want to play 5 or 7 ends because it means pushing the rocks back down the ice).
As a player and a fan, I find this change is a great one. It keeps teams from blanking ends. The games are quicker. The shots become more important. And the teams are more aggressive.
I think the TV networks will find it better too, because it should cut half an hour from the telecasts. As a result, they will be able to sell fewer advertising spots for more money each. And it will be easier to fit it in with their other programming.
To the 'purists' who may be thinking the game is being tampered with, I'll remind them the Brier games used to be 12-end games, and you had to play all 12 ends, no matter how bad you were losing! The free guard zone makes it easier to generate offense, so the # of ends shouldn't be as big a factor.
Great innovation guys!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google