Thursday, November 23, 2006

My Favourite Tournament III

Hello. More proof the Grand Slam of Golf is my favourite tournament. I started watching the tape delay of it on TSN at midnight Eastern time. I'd never do this for any other non-Olympic event. I still am totally captivated by this event, because of the memories it brings back of when my wife and I played it on our honeymoon.
To say I was impressed by Tiger Woods shooting 66 at this course in the windy conditions they had (Mike Weir was almost blown over on the 7th green while putting) is an understatement. He has to be one of the best ever in coming back after a so-so round with a great score. To beat these guys by 5 (Jim Furyk) and 8 (Weir and Geoff Ogilvy) shots in one round is truly amazing. Anyone want to bet against him in the next 10+ years?
What I like about Poipu Bay is you can score there if you get on a roll. The last 4 holes are usually downwind, meaning they play much shorter than their yardage. Greg Norman drove the 400+ yard 15th hole one year. Of course, you can also meet with disaster, as Mike Weir did on the 7th hole, taking a triple bogey.
This tournament pointed out to me Weir is a long way from getting back to the elite level. In fact, Weir's best golf is probably behind him. Then again, it's tough to get back to #3 in the world and win a major. Especially since he will always be remembered as Canada's best male pro golfer (with apologies to George Knudson). I'll still give Sandra Post the nod as best Canadian pro ever.
Congrats Tiger!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google