Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Curling Innovation II

Hello. Another great innovation I saw at the Masters of Curling was the draw to the button to see who got last rock (or hammer) for the 1st end. This change is brilliant and, like most simple changes, very easy to implement.
What I like about this change is the complaints from teams have been eliminated. For years we've heard the last rock advantage to start the game determines the winner. I think the percentage is around 55%. Of course, the better the opposition, the more the complaining by the team without hammer.
By letting teams draw for hammer, instead of it being assigned by the tournament draw, the emphasis is on the team to achieve it, which eliminates all the criticism. And it can give that team a real moral boost by winning the hammer with their throw.
Personally, I like starting out without the hammer, because then I can make some mistakes and hopefully limit the opponent to two points, which then seems like I'm still in the game. If I have the hammer and give up two, then I feel I'm on the road to oblivion. Unfortunately I've travelled that road too often.
Another great idea guys!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google