Thursday, August 24, 2006

In Memory of Terry

Hello. Terry passed away yesterday after a 3-year cancer battle. He was around 40. He leaves a wife and 2 daughters, ages 7 and 4 behind.
Terry was a golfer and a great curler. Last Saturday a golf tournament was held by Terry's friend John. They raised $15,000, a great amount considering John only began planning it a month ago when Terry took a turn for the worst.
Terry came on the Saturday night to see the tournament group. It was a great way for everyone to see him, as there was little trace of his illness that night. He stayed for hours. And in his final hours John came with the cheque and a photo album of the tournament. Truly the best of a bad situation was made.
When I think of his children and wife watching his battle, it's bittersweet. I've always said I wish I was the one who had cystic fibrosis instead of my kids. That is still true, and I'm sure Terry felt better knowing he had cancer instead of his family. However, watching him go through the battle must've been very difficult, knowing cancer was going to be the winner.
When I think of Terry and Darren Clarke's wife, I thank goodness golf is available for therapeutical reasons. What better way to forgot the most serious of problems and, in the case of the tournament, do something to help someone.
An old saying goes "Golf is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important". Well, no, it isn't. But it can help combat death's effects on the living.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google