Thursday, August 17, 2006

Americans Rise From The Grave

Hello. Guess what Davis Love, Lucas Glover, Shaun Micheel and Stewart Cink have in in common. At this moment, they are the top 4 players in the PGA Championship. They are all surprises to me. As you've probably noticed, I've been down on the Americans not named Woods and Furyk. However, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.
Love has to be the biggest surprise. He played the front 9 in 30, 6 under par. Here I thought he'd be a bad Ryder Cup captain's pick due to a very poor year. If he keeps this up, he'll be one of the team's strongest players.
Cink is another player who's been MIA. I can't remember the last time he contended. Now he's right there.
Micheel probably holds the distinction of being the only 1st time major winner thought less of than the no-major winner he beat, Chad Campbell. While Campbell has had a couple of impressive wins since, his major career is still lacking. Micheel faded faster than Y2K, yet here he is challenging.
Glover is the only one of these 4 who I would say was playing well in 2006. He's 26, and may be the future of American Ryder Cup teams.
Here's hoping they all hang on to strong showings. They'll have to play well, though, because guys named Woods, Mickelson and Ogilvy (and Jason Gore) are right behind.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google