Thursday, August 10, 2006

Private Clubs Facing Dilemma

Hello. I found out that next week I cannot play at my private club on Monday and Tuesday because there are tournaments going on.
It leads me to a conclusion - private clubs face a dilemma. They want to have tournaments (especially charity ones) to be good citizens and to generate some revenue to keep membership fees lower. However, the members these tournaments help get upset as a result. And if there were no tournaments, not all of the membership would be happy with the higher fees.
This situation doesn't exist in public clubs. If a tournament has the club booked, then the player can pay fees at another public course with no loss of money. However, at a private club, I and other members have already "prepaid" to play at the club. If my cost/round is less than a green fee at the club (which it is), then it makes it tough to justify paying green fees elsewhere.
My pro is trying to see where else I can go to play. Hopefully he'll come through.
What can private clubs do to generate more revenue without disrupting member's play? Apparently the amount generated from the food/beverage end is not worth it, although I have my doubts. Adding another 9 or 18 holes would help, but it wouldn't be an option for all clubs. Maybe Internet marketing is the key. I'll give it some thought. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google