Thursday, June 01, 2006

Win or Lose, "This IS History"

Hello. In case you've been living in a cave that doesn't get golf news, Michelle Wie is going to try to qualify on Monday for the men's US Open. No matter what happens:

1) To quote Belloq, Indiana Jones' foe in Raiders of the Lost Ark, "Most of us are passing through history, but this, this IS history". While Belloq was referring to the Ark of the Covenant, it applies to Monday as well. Michelle Wie will make history Monday. Here's hoping it's for the right reasons.

2) Contrary to what Mercer Baggs said on thegolfchannel.com, Michelle Wie "should not" qualify. She is capable of qualifying, she might qualify, and I hope she does. But no one is saying her playing partner, David Gossett, a former PGA Tour winner and US Amateur champ, should qualify. If Wie doesn't qualify, let's still celebrate her achivement.

3) I've been converted to the Wie Plan. At first I wasn't, but then I remembered my hockey days playing with older players. Once you get a taste of a higher level, it's tough to focus on the lower level again. I do think Wie has come a long way, even if she's lacking in trophies. And I do think she'll break through some time this year, hopefully on Monday.

4) I will use Michelle Wie as an example to my daughter (and my son) of what you can do if you love something and you're focused on it. Here's hoping other parents do too.

5) I can hardly wait for Monday. I'll be very interested to see how Wie does. Good luck Michelle! Focus for 36 holes, treat it as a learning experience, and enjoy the moment. You'll do fine.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google