Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Quickest Way to Better Golf (Literally)

Hello. I get asked the following in different ways, but it always has a similar meaning:

Steve, you've never had a golf lesson, you play very quickly, you're short, fat, bald, poor, old, short, fat...how come you play so well?

The answer is in the question above.
Have you ever thought about how complicated brushing your teeth is? I once wrote down all the steps, then tried brushing while reading the list step by step. I could hardly get the brush in my mouth. I almost took an eye out!
Would you believe you take the same amount of time (within a second) to brush your teeth? My wife timed me one week. Amazing, huh?
The point is, we all have a natural rythym we do things like brushing our teeth. If we can golf in this natural rythym, doesn't it follow we'll do just as well as we do brushing our teeth?
When it comes to brushing, eating, etc, I'm very fast. Same way when I golf. I don't take a lot of time, because if I start thinking, I create doubt, which results in disaster.
Now some of you are saying Jim Furyk, Bernhard Langer and Jack Nicklaus have all won more majors than I have. No argument there. All I can say is playing slow seems to be their natural rythym. If you have a naturally slow rythym, keep it during your shots, and walk briskly between your shots.
To most of you, I would say based on observation you play too slow. If you stand over the ball for more than 3 seconds without moving, you won't hit consistent shots. If it takes you more than 30 seconds to align yourself to the target, you cannot become a great golfer unless you have the concentration of the men mentioned above. And if you have that kind of concentration, you're probably on your way to being on TV. If not, then I have two words of advice...speed up! Make your swing like when you brush your teeth, and you'll be a much better player.

Regards,
Steve

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google