Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Unsung Golf Heroes

Hello. Prior to last Sunday, I'd never heard the name Scott Steele. Now I've found out he's been around for 20 years.
Who is he? Well on Sunday he was the winning caddie carrying Tim Herron's bag. And in 1987 he was carrying Larry Mize's bag when Mize made one of the great shots in majors playoff history, chipping in on the 11th hole at Augusta to beat Greg Norman.
Caddies are a very important part of the pro game. Yet most toll in anonymity. In fact, prior to Steele, I could probably only name a couple. Steve Williams, of course, is envied by all caddies. If he's been getting 10% of Tiger's win money, he'll have more career money than many players. Williams' predecessor was "Fluff" Cowan, who recovered nicely by carrying Jim Furyk's bag.
Do you know who "Fluff"'s predecessor was on Furyk's bag? None other than Steve Duplantis Jr, whom I've had the pleasure of meeting. I'm good friends with Steve Duplantis Sr., so I've kept track of Jr's career. After Furyk, Jr went to caddy for Rich Beem. When Beem won the Kemper Open for his first pro victory, Jr got a lot of the credit, and rightfully so. A good caddie can make a difference of at least one shot a round, which is a big difference in the pro game.
Jr then went with Brian Gay and Daniel Chopra, and is now on the LPGA.
Is it a tough life? You bet! Next to none of the caddies have endorsements. They're out checking yardages, keeping track of clubs, tee times, practice areas, etc. And they're totally helpless when their player gets over the ball to hit it. I'm sure they say a lot of silent prayers, mixed in with muffled curses.
Staying upbeat must be tough. When your player asks you what he's got to work on, you're unfortunately not allowed to say, "Forget practicing. You're just no good". He's got to pump his player up. As Herron said after his Colonial win, Scott Steele believed in Tim Herron more than Tim Herron believed in Tim Herron. That takes a special quality.
And don't forget the travel. Going across the continent, dependent on someone else's schedule. Knowing if you miss a round or week due to illness or a kid's birthday, you not only miss out on a potential big pay day, but also may get replaced if the new caddie is prefered by the player.
Could I do it? I have done it in the past for our pro and top amateurs from the club I belonged to. I think I have the skill set to succeed. But the things surrounding it would take their toll on me. I'd have to be unattached to even consider it, and even then I'd probably say no.
Let's here it for the caddies! May your players win as often as possible.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google