Thursday, May 18, 2006

Michelle Wie Has Broken The "Grass Ceiling"

Hello. Last night I watched "The Grey Goose 19th Hole" on The Golf Channel. For some reason, much of the "discussion" between Vince Cellini, Bob Valvano and Steve Duemig centred on Michelle Wie. Here are the topics that were discussed, and my reaction:

1) Players (male and female) are upset Michelle Wie is getting exemptions on the European and PGA Tours.

I've said this before, and I still believe it - if you're against Michelle Wie getting a sponsor's exemption, you're against sponsor's exemptions period. No one would ever say that. Would anyone say anything if "Mike Wie" were a promising junior golfer, having almost made 2 PGA Tour cuts, and shooting under par? I doubt it.
Sponsors are trying to make money. Michelle Wie draws extra fans. More fans mean more money

2) Players (female) are upset Michelle Wie is getting a US Women's Open exemption

What I can't figure out is, why didn't Wie get an exemption for finishing 2nd in last year's LPGA Championship? Or for finishing tied for 3rd in the Kraft Nabisco Championship in March? What do you have to do to get exempt? I feel this process should be reviewed

3) People (male and female) are wondering why Wie isn't sticking to the LPGA Tour

Well, she can only play about 8 events I believe (definitely < 10 events) because she isn't an LPGA Tour member. A better question is why isn't she an LPGA Tour member? Because she's not 18? If so, it's a rule that should be amended to handle Wie's situation. As someone who was able to play hockey with older teams growing up, I do not like this type of age discrimination. If someone young has proven they can play at that level, then they should be allowed to move up. After all, it's not like Wie is doing something dangerous, like voting or driving a car.

4) A fan emailed in saying the LPGA Tour could suffer if Wie becomes a PGA Tour member, and would suffer big-time if Wie were to win a PGA Tour event. Then the sponsors wouldn't be showcasing "the best women golfers in the world". People would claim the LPGA is just a minor tour, like the Canadian or Nationwide Tour, and not a major tour.

Michelle Wie has always had her sights set high. She wants to be among the best golfers in the world, no matter what the gender. She has, as a result, broken the "grass ceiling". She has exposed the LPGA for what it is to her, just a development tour. Again, I have no issue with this. I don't think the LPGA should be the highest a woman can go. If it were up to me, golf would be like society, where men and women compete for the same jobs. There would be no need for an LPGA. Bravo Michelle for doing what you're doing.

5) Steve Duemig (not a huge Wie fan) says if Wie qualifies for the men's US Open, he'll wear something embarassing. He doesn't believe she will be one of the top-25 in a field of 120, because most of those players are going to be PGA Tour players.

I could say this isn't much of a change, Steve, as everything you and I wear doesn't exactly look GQ because of our physical characteristics. However, as much as I want to see Michelle qualify, I don't want to see what Mr. Duemig ends up wearing. I do think Michelle could qualify if a) she really wants it, and doesn't give up if things go bad and b) if PGA Tour players don't want it, and do give up if things go bad.

6) Steve Duemig (not a huge Wie fan) guarantees Michelle Wie will never win a PGA Tour event.

I could've made the same prediction of Bobby Wadkins and Steve Melnyk. Both were fine golfers (Melnyk a US Amateur champ, Wadkins the younger brother of Lanny Wadkins) who never broke through. It takes a lot of things going your way to win - just ask Davis Love, or Chris DiMarco, who haven't won a PGA event in years.
And I would've predicted Ben Curtis, Ian Leggatt (who I played with once) and Garrett Willis never would've won a PGA event. And I would've been wrong.
I think Michelle Wie could reach a level where she's a top-10 contender. I think that would break Mr Duemig's guarantee. And yes, here's hoping Wie does win some day.

No matter what happens in early June, it will be an interesting time.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google