Sunday, May 07, 2006

Charity Event a Success

Hello. The computer's going to get fixed Monday, so I'm entering tonight in case it's unavailable.
We had a great time Friday. It stayed dry, which was a nice bonus. The Cystic Fibrosis (CF) golf tournament was well-run as usual (thanks Adrianne, Christine and Danielle, see you Friday!). I'll be very curious to see how much was raised for CF research.
Angus Glen did its routinely brilliant job of hosting our event. I got a chance to talk to both Kevin Thistle and Michelle. Kevin's brother passed away at age 33 in 1994. He goes above and beyond for our charity, which is very much appreciated.
It was interesting to hear what has chanced in the past 12 years. Kevin's brother was taking 100 pills a day; my kids take 4 pills before each meal. His brother had to have percussion therapy (pounding on different parts of the torso) to attempt to loosen the mucus lining his lungs; my daughter uses a pep mask that expands the lungs from the inside to free the mucus more efficiently.
Many CF parents were given false hopes when the CF gene was discovered in 1989. They wanted the scientists to predict how many more years it would be before a cure was found. Apparently 1999 was mentioned, although I heard it third hand. The parents' false hopes were dashed when this date has came and went. I empathize with their frustration.
Are we any closer to finding a cure? I honestly don't know. I haven't really looked in the last 3 years because I expect a cure will not be found. I hope a cure is found. We are doing our fundraising to see that hope to reality. However, it's really all up to my wife and I to keep our kids as happy as possible.
One thing I do know is our kids are starting out with a much more advanced treatment than Kevin's brother did. Even if nothing else were to change, they should live longer.
Thanks to everyone for supporting this golf tournament. To make a further donation, please go to the cystic fibrosis link on this page.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google