Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My Sympathies to Earl Woods' Family

Hello. Just out Earl Woods passed away after a long battle with cancer. My deepest sympathies to Earl Woods' family.
Earl Woods had an incredible vision. Could someone learn how to play golf from the time they could walk? If so, would that individual have an advantage that would make them dominant all the way through their lifetime?
In hindsight, it's easy to say the answers to these questions are yes. However, for Earl to think it just over 30 years ago, when Tiger was born, is remarkable.
There were many reasons to think this vision was preposterous. Earl was an African-American, a race that unfortunately wasn't welcome to many clubs in the '70s. Many kids who had learned golf at an early age had burned out due to pressure and unrealistic expectations. And of course there was the expense of green fees, tournament entry fees, coaching fees, equipment, travel, accommodation and college.
Earl and Kultida Woods made many sacrifices through the years. I think what kept them going was they always focused on Tiger being a great person who just happened to be a great golfer, instead of a great golfer.
As a parent, this is the approach I'm trying to take. My daughter, 7, and my son, 4, have never swung a club. Tonight's the first time they will, as friends gave me some US Kids clubs their kids have outgrown. We're first going to minigolf, something they both enjoy, then hit some balls.
Why have I waited, even after knowing Earl and Tiger's story? Because the last thing I want to do is force golf on them. The minigolf has been a great first step. Tonight will be the next one. And besides, to me, as long as I introduce them to golf, I've done my job. If they choose not to golf, that's fine with me. That's true of anything they do.
Earl Woods had some detractors over the years. He said some things that rubbed people the wrong way. But Earl Woods should be remembered as someone who gave his all for his family. And can there be any better way to be remembered?

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google