Wednesday, May 10, 2006

"The Code" Part 2 (of 3)

Hello. Yesterday I said Augusta would have to change its code or die. How can I make such an outrageous claim? After all, isn't the Masters "a tradition like no other"? Isn't it the highest ranked golf telecast every year?
The reason I made this claim is my assertion the Augusta membership is a collective. It acts as one entity. If that entity was a person, I would say it most represents John Daly.
Daly is extremely popular. However he has basic issues, similar to Augusta. "The code" Daly and Augusta each has prevents them from changing. And if both don't change, they will face issues.
Daly's shortcomings are obvious. He's a compulsive gambler and an alcoholic. Either one is a serious issue. Both can be lethal. Daly has to curtail both these problems or else.
Augusta's issues are more subtle, but just as serious. If Augusta continues to live in the past about who it lets in, who the media are, how the media act, etc, the Masters will no longer be the tournament it once was.
How do I know? Well, everyone my age (44) and younger has grown up in a much different climate than previous generations. We've known women as colleagues in the workplace, and equals in many activities, including golf. We've been taught the dangers of smoking at an early age. We didn't live through the Great Depression or World War II.
What does this mean? When this incident happened at the club I used to belong to, the reaction was very extreme, and age was a big factor.
The clubhouse used to have a pro shop and club storage as part of the main structure. It was decided to make it a separate building. The former pro shop and storage area were made into two lounges.
One was made the Men's Lounge, the other the Mixed Lounge.
To be fair, the membership was 75% men, 25% women. The average age was approximately 52. Many of those people did not have an issue with this arrangement.
I was outraged. I wrote a scathing letter and showed it to a friend. He wisely told me to rip it up, and do a silent protest. I decided to not go in the Men's Lounge. Instead I stayed in the Mixed Lounge. I also didn't communicate at all with the Board president, who had championed this arangement. As I was someone who was there all the time, and known by most as a good golfer, it made a statement.
What I found is I enjoyed the company of the people in the Mixed Lounge quite a bit. And I didn't miss the Men's Lounge people at all. When I did golf with people (and I did play with a lot of different people) I asked to sit in the Mixed Lounge afterwards. None complained.
I estimate about 20 guys never talked to me again. Not coincidently, they were the 20 I didn't want to talk to.
To make a long story short, tensions got so bad the Board decided after one year to change the lounges to a smoking lounge and a non-smoking lounge.
When did this happen? 1995. It was so out of touch with society that it had to happen. It was inevitable.
That's what will happen at Augusta if "the code" doesn't change. The people my age and younger won't accept these situations. If the current older Augusta members take them in, there will be change. If they don't, they'll die off, and there will be change again.
Now is the time to change "the code" Augusta. Do so in your own way, sublty, discreetly. But do it. Please.

Regards,
Steve

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google