Thursday, June 08, 2006

Are "Wie" All Being Conned?

Hello. Well, I watched The Golf Channel's Grey Goose 19th Hole last night. I also read George White's column today on thegolfchannel.com about Morgan Pressel and her opinion. In both cases, I wanted to see if two of Michelle Wie's biggest "un-fans", Pressel and Steve Duemig, would be full of "I told you so". I happily did not find that at all, but rather a refreshing perspective from both.

Both people pointed out that the media hype has been so big for Wie that, in Pressel's words, "She (Wie) has got it made". All Wie has to do is show up at an event, and she's the story. Her sponsors are obviously happy, which leads to Duemig's point last night - why did Wie try to qualify in New Jersey Monday? Would it have been better to qualify at Poipu Bay in Kauai, one of my favourite places in the world (my wife and I honeymooned there, and played the course. The pictures we took don't do it justice)? Wie would've been one of 11 players going for one spot, which was won by a teenager. She could've then flown to Maryland late Monday/early Tuesday to play today, which would've been okay since she's already played the course.

Or, as Duemig also pointed out, why didn't Wie try to qualify in Maryland, where there were 50 players going for 4 spots. She would've been even closer to the LPGA Championship course.

Are we being conned by the media, and the Wies? Are they just in it for the money now? Is Michelle being put in situations just to capitalize on exposure, and keep her a hot story, so she cannot fail, or so we will always have an excuse for her when she doesn't succeed? Is her dream only enough for us? Is that the only reason why she played in New Jersey?

Don't get me wrong with the above. I'm still a big Wie fan. I hope she does succeed for years to come, because she's an excellent role model for my children. And I do think her "entourage" is doing the right thing, if the primary goal is to make Michelle a better player.

However, if the primary goal is to make money, then I have issues. As Pressel said, when she was a 12-year old and playing in the US Women's Open (still the youngest to ever do it) the hype was so much she had trouble focusing on her game. And Pressel's hype is nothing compared to what Wie is experiencing.

If the reason for playing in New Jersey was to be better ready for the LPGA Championship, it hasn't worked so far. Wie is +1 after 9 holes, tied for 80th, 8 out of the lead, and 5 behind Lorena Ochoa, my pick to win, who is already finished.

Please, Wie camp, say it isn't so. Please say your primary goal is producing an elite golfer. If so, I will tell you on Monday where I think Wie should play which would make everyone happy.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google