Monday, April 10, 2006

Phil (Mickelson) of the Future

Hello. For those of you with young kids, you'll recognize the "Phil of the Future" show title in my headline. I don't watch the show myself (my kids are younger and into Dora the Explorer right now), I thought it was appropriate.
Phil Mickelson of the Past was someone I was not a big fan of. As I said to my best man, Phil was the only one on TV dumber than I was when it came to golf. He took so many unnecessary chances it was unbelievable. It was very frustrating for me to watch someone with so much talent shoot himself in the foot over and over again. I didn't think he was ever going to win a major, because he always beat himself.
That all changed two years ago when he discovered one of golfer's best friends - the fairway. He realized driving in the fairway was more important than going offline. The result was a 2004 Masters victory. Then last year he won the PGA. And yesterday, another Masters. He's now tied with Ernie Els and Vijay Singh for number of majors won. And it looks like the sky's the limit.
Phil has won 2 majors in a row. Prior to Tiger, Nick Price was the last to do it in 1994. This is rarefied company. If he were to win the US Open, we suddenly have to compare Phil's year to the greatest years ever.
Can he do it? Talent wise he's always been able to. But now he's maybe even outthinking his opponents. His decision to use two drivers, one that hits a long hook, the other a short fade, now looks like sheer brilliance. His strategy Sunday, to play mistake free, and let others come after him and self-destruct in the process, reminds me of how Tiger won most of his majors. While I wouldn't always predict Phil would win every event, I also wouldn't predict he would lose either.
Speaking of Tiger, he's now 0 for majors when trailing after 3 rounds. As we were reminded repeatedly, it was 20 years ago that Nicklaus came from behind to win the Masters. Until Tiger does it too, he probably won't catch Jack's record 18 major wins.
Congratulations Phil, and CBS/USA/TSN, for showing the completion of the 3rd round at 8am Sunday morning. Thank goodness you did, or I would've broken my promise to not talk about TV and the Masters.
Congratulations to Team Canada in men's curling. While they lost to Scotland in the final, they took it to their last shot, which is all you can ask. Tres Bien! Hopefully this helps curling interest in Quebec.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google