Wednesday, March 22, 2006

What a Ride It's Been

Last night our curling team, "Hands of Stone", played the top ranked team in the first game of the "A" playoffs. We were heavy underdogs, as we just managed into "A" flight. In our playoffs, the winner goes to the championship flight, and the loser to the consolation flight. IF you lose your second game in either championship or consolation, you're done.

We only played 6 of a possible 8 ends. We won 9-3. Believe it or not, it wasn't that close.

What happened? I have to believe the favourites were overconfident. I would've been if I were them too. We lost on the 2nd last rock of the game in our regular season match, but both teams struggled.

Last night we were bang on, forcing them into shots I'm sure they haven't faced too often. We managed to get them out of their comfort zone, and it resulted in victory.

Afterwards I had to pretend my dog died. I didn't want to rub it in. It was tough, because every one else there was congratulating us. They wanted to see Goliath fall. Apparently this team isn't well liked.

We now move on to the 2nd game Thursday. Another sudden victory game, with the winner going to the final Saturday, and the loser going home. I believe we can win, but no matter what, it's been quite a ride.

Canada is now 6-2 after beating Italy this morning. Way to go! It looks like Canada, Sweden and the U.S. are locks for the playoffs, with the others scrambling. Time will tell however.

One thing troubles me with Canada's strategy with the lead. They seem to allow a lot of rocks in play. It unfortunately prevented them from going to the Olympics, when they gave up 3 in the last end of the final to Shannon Kleibrink. I see signs it may be happening again. If it does happen in the playoffs against a Sweden or U.S., it could be all over. In fact this is what happened in our playoff game. Please Canada keep your house clean!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google