Monday, March 20, 2006

China and Quebec Come Through; I Hope I Do Too

Hello. Congratulations to Team Quebec for winning the Brier. While you all know I was pulling for Team Ontario and Glenn Howard, I say "tres bien" to Team Menard for holding onto their large lead. Unfortunately I missed the first two ends, when Quebec got up 4-0. Ontario played well to get back in contention, but there was little doubt in my mind Quebec was going to come through. Bon Chance in the Worlds!

Quebec wins its 2nd Brier, the first being in 1977. I hope this leads to an increase in curling in that province. Also, it was the first time since 1990 there were no Western teams in the semi-final or final of the Brier. Does this mean the Eastern teams are becoming more competitive? Perhaps.

Congratulations to Team China for beating Canada in the Women's World Championship. Last year China lost to Jennifer Jones by 10! What a difference a year makes. While China did make some questionable strategy calls (I could hear Ray Turnbull squirming in his seat from here) they executed very well. Their mechanics are sound. Hopefully they will learn and grow together.

China had a video camera/computer hooked up near the ice. The computer tracks every rock, and provides stats. The camera studies deliveries, body language, team chemistry, etc. Very interesting device. I hope Canadian teams are using something similar.

Sweden looks like the class of this field. Right now I'd be shocked if they lose a game, let alone the title. Norberg and her crew remind me of the late Sandra Schmirler's rink of the '90s. If they're half as good (which I think they are) they'll be almost impossible to beat.

Closer to home I got three pieces of good news. First, Hands of Stone made it into the "A" playoffs. We are 3 wins from the championship. The first game is Tuesday at 6:45pm Eastern. Everyone was so excited to find out we had enough points to make it. I believe we can pull a "China" over the Team Canadas in "A". Time will tell. We're thrilled to be here and hope that relaxs us so we can play our best. We play the top-ranked team, and even my son's JK teacher is coming to watch. Neat, huh? She may double our previous record gallery size.

Secondly, our original team will be together. Our newest member informed me she'll be able to play in our games. I'm so happy, because her presence made us what we are today. While I had a pretty good spare lined up to play lead, it wouldn't have been the same chemistry. No matter what happens, we'll do it together, and that's what counts.

Last but not least, I found out I'll be 1 of 10 people at our club throwing in the Investor's Group Draw to the Button contest. One throw with no one holding a broom or sweeping to a circle within the button that give a centimetre of clearance around the rock. If successful, the winners will each get $25,000! It's tougher than a hole-in-one in my opinion, because the throw has to be perfect. I'm cautiously optimistic. I also know what I'll do with the money, but I'll wait until next week to say.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google