Monday, March 13, 2006

Many Thanks

Many thanks to the wonderful people I met at the Toronto Golf and Travel Show. In particular, it was nice to catch up with Al Graham, now of Rebel Creek. Al and I met when he became head pro at Dundee Country Club some 20 years ago. Al shares the Dundee course record of 65. I'm not sure if it's been done since Al did it, but I told him when he tied the record that his round was even more impressive than his predecessors. Dundee's trees have gone from "free lift size" (under 6 feet) in 1970 to 30+ feet. Combine that with very small greens, and you get a course demanding accuracy.

I had to go back to the Alberta booth a second time to share my memories with Karen, the competent booth attendee. I was there in 1991. My parents and I did the Banff-Jasper-Kamloops triangle. Every view seems like a post card shot. Looking at the photos, which are lovely but don't do the scenery justice, reminded me of how different life is within Canada. I'm going to have to look at returning soon.

Thanks to Al, Steve and Rick for your generous gifts. I'm sure they will really help my cause. Donors never cease to amaze me.

Now it's time to focus on the Brier. The cream has already risen to the top. Glenn Howard of Ontario (did I mention we went to the University of Waterloo together 25 years ago? He must be famous!) and Jeff Stoughton of Manitoba are 4-0 heading into tonight's draw, followed by Kevin Martin of Alberta at 4-1. All of them want to make up for not winning the Olympic Trials. If even one of them misses the playoffs, I'll be shocked.

Quebec and Nova Scotia are my early 4th place picks. Both will have to improve to secure that spot, however.

Enjoy the curling!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google