Monday, January 07, 2008

So Many Sports in the New Year!

Hello, and Happy New Year! I used to think April and October were the best sports months, but January is giving them a run for the money. Golf, curling, NFL playoffs, college bowl games.... the list seems endless.
I'll start the new year with a tournament that is very exciting, the World Junior Hockey Championships. I managed to watch a few games. I can honestly say the two Sweden games were the best two games I've seen in a long time. Congrats to Canada for winning the gold in overtime, and to Sweden for giving Canada a real tough time, including a win in the round robin.
This is Canada's 4th gold in a row. Needless to say, with this record and a 7-0-1 record in the Summit Series with Russia, Canada's junior program is in top shape.
What I couldn't believe is how Sweden hadn't won a medal in 12 years! Amazing. Hopefully this silver will bring new life to their program.
What I also don't understand is how the NHL doesn't seem to make use of this talent. Given what I saw, the NHL shouldn't be worried about getting quality players. Yet there are teams who can't contend. Strange.
Congrats again Canada!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google