Monday, May 14, 2007

Phil Comes Thru, But I See a Flaw

Hello. Congrats to Phil Mickelson on winning the Players. In the past I've been Phil's biggest critic. I used to tell my best man Phil was the only one on TV dumber than I am. His course management is now much better and obviously Butch Harmon's association has improved his swing instantly. He's always had the talent, and he seems to have now put last year's US Open meltdown behind him.
So what's not to like about Phil right now? Something I've never liked. It was revealed to all of us on the 16th hole Sunday.
Phil was a few yards off the green with a lot of room to the hole. Chipping it by was a better option than leaving it short. Phil chose his sand wedge. Nothing new there. The shot came up way short. His birdie putt missed.
That is Phil's flaw in my humble opinion. Phil uses the same club to chip with, and varies his swing. I've been always taught to use the same swing with different clubs. I've always thought this would make me more consistent. Tiger of course uses different clubs, including fairway medals, to chip with. I think Tiger has the advantage in this area, which is so crucial in a US Open. That's why Tiger still gets my pick.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google