Thursday, February 01, 2007

FBR or Dubai?

Hello. The FBR Open is on in Phoenix today. And the Dubai is on in Dubai. Which will get more attention? We are in a Tiger world, so Dubai will probably be the 2nd biggest watched regular European Tour event next to the British Open. His presence makes an event like this more than a footnote the rest of the Euro events will be.
And will the FBR Open be more than a footnote this year? I think these first few events without Tiger are indeed footnotes. Something has to be done - prop up the money, etc, to get these events on the map.
If I'm a Golf Channel executive, I'm enjoying this one big time. I've got Tiger in the morning, which is exposing the European Tour players big time. and the PGA in the afternoon.
And if I'm the Canadian Open committee, who STILL haven't been able to find a main sponsor, I'd store the name of every PGA player who went from San Diego to Dubai, including Tiger, in my memory bank. Then when I go to ask them if they are going to play in the Canadian Open, which is right after the British Open, and I hear the "I've got a headache" response of how the travel is too rushed back to Canada from the British Isles, I'd remind them of how they made a much longer flight to go to Dubai. Then watch the backpeddling to see what the next excuse will be.
The PGA Tour has to realize these "lesser events" are in trouble soon. Otehrwise, they will not be around to debate anymore.

Regards,
Steve

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion you are mistaken. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google