Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Halton-Peel A Lot Of Fun II

Hello. Continuing on with our Halton-Peel journey.....
Tuesday brought us back to our home rink to play yet another Acton team. After 4 ends we were up 6-0! It was an uncommon situation, and one we (meaning me) were apparently unprepared for.
In the 5th end I threw my takeout a little too hard, and missed their shot stone. They only got one point, so it was not a concern.
The 6th end saw them lying two behind cover, leaving me either a draw to the outside in untested ice, or an angle raise takeout on one or more of their rocks, again on untested ice. I chose the draw, figuring it would result in a handshake if I made it. We'll never know, since I threw it too hard. It's now 6-3. My concern is higher, but I still feel pretty good.
My final shot in the 7th was against one opponent rock buried in the back 4 foot. Full four, and we've got a 4 point lead, and maybe a handshake. Again I'll never know because once again I threw it too hard. No excuses this time, it was a flat out miss. Tension is very high. My tongue is sore from biting it. I'm beginning to panic.
The 8th end is becoming a nightmare. As I go down to throw my 1st shot, they are lying 3, with a guard to work with. I call for a takeout around the guard which knocks one of theirs out. More importantly, it's lying shot in the 8 foot. My opposite number has to make a play on it, and unfortunately for him, misses it wide. We win without me throwing my last rock, thank goodness! On to the semis!
The first game on Saturday saw us against a 3rd Acton rink. I know the skip and vice personally. I know the skip is much better than me. However, I have a career game until the 7th end. A hit and stick needed to close the gap to 1 instead rolls outside for a steal of 1. We're down 3 coming home. A double by my now former vice friend (just kidding) results in a loss.
Stay tuned for the exciting (believe it or not) "D" consolation final.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google