Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Hoffman, Irwin Come Through

Hello. Congrats to Charley Hoffman and Hale Irwin for winning last week. Needless to say, these guys are at different ends of the win spectrum.
For Hoffman, a birdie-eagle finish got him into a playoff with John Rollins, which Hoffman won with a birdie. It was his first Tour win. On the playoff tee shots, Hoffman made a newcomer mistake by saying good shot before Rollins' tee shot landed. It was blown by a strong wind into a bunker. I've done that before, and there's not many worse feelings. I now try to save my "nice shot" comments for when I can see the ball sitting perfectly on the fairway. Otherwise I try to keep quiet.
Irwin won his 45th Champions Tour title at the age of 61. Other than last year, Irwin has won every year he's been on the Champions Tour. Most winners are 10 years younger than Hale. He's at the age where players aren't supposed to contend anymore, much less win. Truly a remarkable run.
These wins mean pretty well the same thing to both players - proof they can be competitive. I predict both will go on to have fine seasons.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google