Monday, October 30, 2006

Private Club Woes II

Hello. Just got done playing today in beautiful late October weather. It was my first day of unemployment in 32 years. It was perfect therapy. The past week has been very hectic trying to clean up all the loose ends while having various workers come fix our basement after a hot-water heater broke. This was a day I treated as the first day of the rest of my life, a celebration. It was very calming to go around the course today.
As mentioned earlier, this will be my last year at this private club. I was 100% sure I was going for good after the board decided to make the course an equity club. There was no way I was going to come up with $17,500, even when I was employed. I can use that money on other luxury items, like food.
In the last month the board backed off, and decided to remain non-equity. They got plenty of feedback saying members were going to walk if they had to dump 5 digits this year on a share just to maintain status quo. The fees are going up to make up for the lack of share selling.
Because I'm now not being forced to purchase a share, I modified my departure percentage to 90% going outright, and 10% on taking a leave of absence. I felt I'd put my membership on hold for a year to decide if my new career (whatever it is) would be able to include a private golf membership.
Today after my round I found out a leave of absence is only for people whose jobs are transferring out of town, or who suffer a medical downturn preventing them from playing. Apparently losing a job doesn't qualify.
Is this fair? From the club's point of view, they probably don't want someone hanging around on a list who has no intention of playing there again. However I'd be forking out some money ($300 to $500 a year I believe) to stay on this list, and someone else could be taking my place. If I walk (which is becoming very easy to do), the club gets nothing from me.
Should not clubs be doing everything in their power to retain members? It depends on what the membership demand is. Right now it's very low across the board. Waiting lists are few and far between.
Anyway, it looks like I'm back to 100% leaving. No regrets on my part. Thanks for the memories.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google