Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Baker-Finch Another Nice CBS Addition

Hello. Add Ian Baker-Finch to the list of new CBS announcers. Baker-Finch joins Nick Faldo as broadcasters who went from ABC to CBS.
I've always liked Ian's tone and humbleness on a telecast. He's known the best of times, winning the 1991 British Open. And he's known the worst of times, having his game disappear, and being mugged. He was interviewed this year with the Claret Jug, and asked what it meant to him. He could hardly answer because of the tears. I shed a few myself.
CBS has quite a crowd in the booth now. Faldo, Baker-Finch, Jim Nantz, Peter Kostis, Bobby Clampett, Verne Lundquist, Gary McCord, Peter Oosterhuis, Bill Macatee, David Feherty....quite a few people to do the telecasts.
Will someone go? If so, I'm hoping the names McCord and Clampett are no more. While each has PGA experience, they are not announcers I particularly like. Clampett comes across very flat to me, and McCord too much the other way. With Faldo and Feherty providing sufficient laughs, I don't think McCord is needed anymore.
Will Baker-Finch join Faldo on ABC's British Open telecasts? We'll see. If so, it seems to be kind of an identity crisis at ABC. Faldo and Baker-Finch will be fully establlished as CBS personalities by then, so fans may be wondering why they're on ABC, even though they came from there. I'm very surprised ABC decided to hang onto the British Open rights. It wouldn't surprise me if they sold them after 2007.
What really gets me is why NBC hasn't snatched up some more talent. Are they waiting for more CBS fallout? Will they grab someone like Mark O'Meara? OR are they happy with status quo? If so, that may be a mistake, because CBS has added quite a bit more talent to arguably the #1 group of TV announcers.
It should be an interesting 2007.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google