Thursday, October 19, 2006

Why Not Disney?

Hello. Last year at this time I was at Walt Disney World. The Funai Classic was on then, but I didn't go. This trip was dedicated to my children, especially my 7 year old daughter. My 3 year son was entertained by the Buzz Lightyear ride in Magic Kingdom, going on it 20 times.
This year it seems all the big names are skipping it, including Tiger Woods. Other than being a great place to vacation in October, I have no idea why players wouldn't play there (just kidding). If I could have my family and friends go on that trip FOR FREE, I'd be thrilled.
What gets me are the guys who aren't going. Guys who could play in the Tour Championship. Guys who could keep their cards. Guys who could make their families happy.
What have things come to, when all the incentives in the world won't get them there? In a word, money. Believe it or not, the players are playing for chump change relative to the team sports, and relative to off-course endorsements. Tiger's had a tremendous year, yet hasn't cracked $10 million. Interest on his current assets earns him more. He could play in 4 European Tour events and make more money.
It's time to jack first place money up to $2 million+ on even the small events. Make winning worth way more than anything else. Make purse money more attractive than off-course appearances. Get rid of pro-ams, and replace them with something more player-friendly. Do anything to get quality fields.
If the players aren't willing to go to Disney World FOR FREE, ther are serious problems.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google