Tuesday, June 17, 2008

18 Playoff A Joke II

Hello. Congrats to Tiger Woods for winning the US Open playoff Monday. Woods beat Rocco Mediate on the 1st sudden death playoff hole.
In spite of this playoff being close, I still think the 18 hole playoff is a joke. Put it this way - I didn't tune in until the 6th hole, because I had a golf game arranged. I didn't feel like I missed anything. And since it ended up tied after 18 holes, I guess it really wasn't needed, was it?
Both Dave Perkins of the Toronto Star and Gary Van Sickle of si.com also thought it was unnecessary in their Monday columns. And if the announcers were excited about 25,000 fans showing up for the Monday playoff, my question is why? There were twice as many there Sunday. And way more TV viewers, although I don't know the exact total.
Anyway, it was a memorable US Open, and will go down historically because of Tiger winning, bad knee and all. I won't doubt him again. My pick, Andres Romero, only finished 10 behind.
Woods now has 14 majors, and the question now seems to be how long will it take him to get to 19. With the next two US Opens being at Bethpage Black and Pebble Beach, sites of his previous US Open wins, it may not be long. More on that tomorrow.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google