Wednesday, July 18, 2007

My British Open Pick

Hello. In a few hours the British Open begins in Carnoustie. Tiger Woods will be the overwhelming favourite again. But will he prevail? While every other golf guru picked Zach Johnson and Angel Cabrera to win the first two majors of 2007, I didn't. So I'm thinking now may be the time to make a non-Tiger pick.
I still think the European Tour has become a better tour over the last decade. Since no European has won a major since Paul Lawrie in 1999 at this very same course, I feel it will happen again.
So who will it be? Paul Casey seems to be the one I think is ready to break through. He hits the ball long and straight, which will be the main skill required at Carnoustie. He had a great 66 at Oakmont, and hopefully learned something when he shot 76 on Sunday.
There are other Euros who could contend - Padraig Harrington (if he was faster), Luke Donald (if he was longer), and even Colin Montgomerie (if he was told it was a Ryder Cup). The fact I can rattle off these names, and only 2 Americans (Woods and Furyk) says something for depth.
Of course, an international player who may be on the President's Cup team in September could also do it, but right now I'm sticking with Casey.
Good luck everyone!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google