Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hornby Shows More Than Expected

Hello. Yesterday I played Hornby Glen for the first time.
My expectations were low. Hornby is a mostly public course. It's not the flashiest course around. The terrain is pretty flat. And it would need a few upgrades to move up to high end.
What I found is the tees, fairways and greens were in surprisingly good shape considering how dry it's been in this area. And it was relatively long (6600 from the back).
What was also very nice was our pace of play. We teed of just before 4pm, and were done at 7:30pm. Any time I can play in under 4 hours, I'm happy.
What Hornby did is make me realize what is important for me at a golf club. Pace of play, a good challenge, the ability to walk, reasonable conditions (doesn't have to be Augusta), and maybe some customer service. That's all it takes. Hornby had all that, whereas some other high end course I've played haven't had it.
John Henderson, the Hornby Director of Golf, seems to "get it". He's focusing on regular public players. One guy I know who was playing behind us said he has the same tee time every Tuesday. No worry, no fuss.
Keep up the good work John and every one else at Hornby.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google