Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tiger Finishes 2nd, Becomes a Dad for the First Time

Hello. Congrats to Tiger and Elin Woods for the birth of their daughter, Sam Alexis. From all accounts, everyone is doing fine.
Congrats as well to Tiger for finishing 2nd at the US Open. For most players, finishing 2nd once in a major can make their career (right Bob May?). Of course, for Tiger it's viewed as a disappointment.
Why is Tiger 0 for 29 when trailing after 54 holes in a major? He suffers from an ailment I'll call the "Frontrunner Syndrome", and it applies to all sports.
When someone is really good, they're usually in the lead. As a result, they learn how to protect that lead. Being behind is very unusual, so they don't have as much experience coming back from being behind.
I had this discussion with the best curler at our club. I mentioned to him he has no idea what to do if he's down 4-0 after 2 ends. I, on the other hand, am in my comfort zone at that point. I've come back many times to win because it's my usual condition.
What we "normal" people have to realize is that Tiger Woods does not have a lot of experience at being behind. And that may be his biggest weakness. If Tiger can remember how he came back to win his 3 US Amateurs, he could become even better. What a sight that would be!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google