Thursday, June 22, 2006

Expect Major Success From Non-PGA Regulars

Hello. I learned to play golf on a course that had very few mature trees. It was a brand new course, so only a couple of holes went through the forest. The rest were wide open. When I got on the forest holes, I always had a little more tension, because those holes seemed more intimidating.
This tension went with me when I went to mature courses. Galt, Westmount and Brantford are 3 older clubs that stand out in my mind. That's the key phrase, stand out. They were so different from what I played regularly. While they may have been a little tougher, they played a lot tougher because I was out of my comfort zone.
After watching the US Open last week, my theory is the PGA Tour players now feel the same way in a US Open or a British Open that I felt on mature courses. They are out of their element, because these courses are set up much tougher than their regular tour stops.
Don't believe me? Let's examine the winners of 2004, 2005 and 2006 US and British Opens:

US Open
2004 - Retief Goosen (world player)
2005 - Michael Campbell (European Tour player)
2006 - Geoff Ogilvy (Austraian/PGA Tour player)

British Open
2004 - Todd Hamilton (Japan/PGA Tour)
2005 - Tiger Woods (PGA)
2006 - ?

In case you think that's a fluke, 6 of the past 12 US Opens have been won by non-Americans (Ernie Els in '94 and '97, and Goosen again in '01). Also, both of Tiger's British Open wins have been at St Andrews, the most wide open of the British Open courses.
Why do I believe PGA Tour players are at a disadvantage? Because the PGA Tour doesn't run any of the majors. They are under pressure to set the non-major courses up so the players will come to the events, and can go low. They told the Bell Canadian Open folks in 2002 to shave the rough, even though some players already thought the Angus Glen South course was one of the easiest they'd ever seen. The USGA and the Royal and Ancient are under no such pressure, so they can set up the courses however they like.
That's why Tiger and Phil and Vijay have gotten into such bad habits. They can hit it wherever they want on non-major courses and get away with it. Get them on Winged Foot and they're like fish out of water.
That's also why I wrote last week Michelle Wie would learn a lot playing the European men's tour next year. She'd be exposed to harsh weather conditions and penal rough. The ideal apprenticeship for a new pro. And why I wrote Tiger would also be advised to play les on the PGA Tour.
If they want to win majors, the regular PGA Tour stops are not doing it for them.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google