Thursday, May 01, 2008

Golf In The Olympics? My View

Hello. A big push is happening to see golf in the Olympics. Apparently 2016 would be the earliest the Olympics would have golf.
One of the big supporters, David Fay, sees it as an individual competition only, with the pros allowed to play. I'm sure there would be a limit of how many per country, and some qualifying process for which countries would be allowed. Then again, maybe they'd just take the top 100 players from the World Ranking and go from there. And I assume men and women would both be included.
So would the Olympics benefit? Would golf benefit? My view is golf in the Olympics would enjoy the same benefits as tennis has. Right now, I can't think of any.
Did you know Stefan Edberg won a tennis gold medal? Or Canada's own Daniel Nestor? I had to rack my brains for that one.
But I do know Roger Federer is closing in on Pete Sampras' Grand Slam record. And Nadal is the 3 time defending French Open champ. Most sports fans do.
Will it be any different for golf, where the majors are also the main thing? I don't think so.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google