Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ross Dismissal a Blessing for RCGA

Hello. Stephen Ross, executive director of the RCGA, was packaged off after 30 years of service. While the RCGA can claim some victories under Ross' direction, there were many failures, most notably the Canadian Open.
Ross' years of service coincide nicely with my first visit to the Canadian Open. It was 1977 at Glen Abbey. I was a teenager going on practice day. Every top player of the era you could name (Nicklaus, Player, Kite, Crenshaw, Trevino et al) were there, as were Bar, Nelford and Halderson representing Canada. Those Canadian players were part of the free junior clinic. Jack Nicklaus designed the course, which was state of the art at the time. I played it that year, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Now what does Canada have? A lousy field, playing on a lousy date, on a "players think it's lousy" course (although I've never played Angus Glen North, so I can't say what it's like), for a lousy purse. It personally makes me sick to my stomach to see what's happened. Yet until this dismissal, all I heard was how well things were going.
If the MADD Canada and Canadian Curling Association experiences are anything to base opinions on, it's this - a non-profit organization receiving public funds cannot be above criticism. It also cannot hide things from the public. This dismissal shows the RCGA is going in a different direction. I say bravo!

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google