Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Best Private Club Setup?

Hello. What is the best way to set up a private golf club? Is it member owned (one share per member)? Or one owner? Or like Clublink, one corporation that owns many golf courses?
Should a player just pay an initiation fee to join, or do they purchase a share, or both? What are the prices of these different things? What are the annual dues?
These are questions the private club I belong to is going through. There are many options at this time. One is to keep it member owned, non-equity. Another is to sell to a developer. Clublink owned is another. An equity membership could be in our future.
There are a lot of people looking for answers, and wondering what to do if an option they don't like is chosen.
Personally, I'm not a big equity fan. Equity vs non-equity is the same to me as buying a car vs leasing one. If you buy, you have to have someone ready to sell it to when you want to, for the price you want. Otherwise you're going to be stuck with it and all the expenses. Same with an equity club membership. I know some where there's a waiting list to get out! Meanwhile they are paying annual fees.
I hope our club stays as it is, but it now seems unlikely. If it changes, I'll have to see where I can go to play regularly. Do I join another club? Or do I become a public course player, something I've never done before? While there is a lot of great public golf in the GTA, it's not cheap. Playing once a week is going to cost as much as a membership possibly.
Anyway, there's no sense worrying about it. What happens will happen. I submitted my thoughts to a director, so I've done my best. Now we'll see where it goes.

Regards,
Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google